Loper Volleyball Now 6th in Region|
The Nebraska-Kearney volleyball team moved up two spots to sixth in the third NCAA region rankings of the 2012 season.
These rankings determine the 64-team NCAA Division II Tournament field, which is made up of eight teams from eight regions. The field will be announced Sunday night at 9:00 p.m. on www.ncaa.com.
This year, the Central Region consists of the MIAA, NSIC (Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference) and GAC (Great American Conference). The MIAA and NSIC Tournament winners receive automatic bids to the NCAA’s; the GAC doesn’t due to being a new league.
Five-time defending national champion Concordia-St. Paul remains the top team; the Golden Bears made another big statement last week by going on the road and sweeping SW Minnesota State. CSP hosts the NSIC Tournament this weekend.
UNK is now 5-2 vs. the current Top 10 after sweeping Central Missouri and winning at Washburn last weekend. The Lopers are also the only team to beat Washburn this year.
The Lopers host the MIAA Tournament semifinals and finals this Friday/Saturday
Below are the complete rankings. They reflect matches played through November 11th.
Overall In-Region (Conference Affiliation)
1. Concordia St.-Paul 25-3 20-2 (NSIC)
2. SW Minnesota State 26-2 23-2 (NSIC)
3. Central Missouri 24-5 21-2 (MIAA)
4. Washburn 30-2 25-2 (MIAA)
5. Minnesota-Duluth 27-3 23-3 (NSIC)
6. UNK 30-2 26-2 (MIAA)
7. Truman State 27-5 27-5 (MIAA)
8. Wayne State 22-8 20-8 (NSIC)
9. Minnesota State 18-10 14-10 (NSIC)
10. Augustana, S.D. 17-12 16-11 (NSIC)